• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

suggestions for ***special*** restaurant for celebration in winter?

milgreen2

100+ Posts
So, a crazy idea popped into my head a couple of months ago, and now I'm trying to put it into action. Would love to take my husband to a special restaurant somewhere in the French countryside in mid-Deember, and then follow up with about a week in Paris. He is celebrating a milestone birthday in June, but we think it would be fun to get away in December and possibly escape the holiday season madness here. I know several of the "best" restaurants are closed for the winter months, or at least close up for a few weeks starting mid-December.
Ideally, there would also be a lodging option (e.g. Troisgros, Auberge d'Ill). Also willing to think outside the traditional box and try someplace where there's a promising new chef whose star in rising. Or someplace you've been that is a proverbial hidden gem.
Thanks, is advance, for any and all suggestions!

Indeed many of the top restaurants will be closed in the mid-December period, especially in the countryside. Besides, the countryside in mid-December is quite triste. In addition, you want creative cuisine with a new chef, plus lodging for this difficult pperiod. I wonder if you could prioritize your conditions. As is, the choice is not large. Example: Ferme de la Ruchotte. If it is open, then you get your creative chef in the Burgundy countryside, but the winterscape is bleak (everywhere in Burgundy, not just there), and it has no lodging sur place.
Olhabidea in Sare, in the Basque country, has a creative chef, and upstairs are 4 lovely rooms, but it is usulaly closed for several winter months. Worth looking up.
Ditto Mas de la Madeleine on the hills of the lovely Medieval town of Largentière in the Ardèche. Same problem as Olhabidéa. But worth it to contact those places to see if they are open in the dead of winter.
The food in both Olhabidéa and Mas de la Madeleine is insanely good and creative, and a large part of the ingredients come from their potager.
As for Ferme de la Ruchotte, the chef used to work for starred restaurants and preferred to grow his own ingredients and raise his own rare breeds of poultry, a factor that he thinks the Michelin people care less than whether the restroom has marble. He is not wrong. And when you go to eat there, you track mud into the his restaurant because, duh, it's a farm. That guarantees to freak out the Michelin guys.
My general bet for a location with a wider hcoice of restaurants and lodging would be the Provence town of Arles. Not exactly the countryside with fields - bald at that period, - but nearly. it is a beautiful small town with a concentration of very good eateries, from starred temples like Rabanel and La Chassagnette to delicious pizzeria takeouts.
Another choice of mine would be Ciboure on the Atlantic coast on the Spanish border. The beautiful village is a listed Plus Beau Village de France and is adjacent - within walking distance - to St Jean de Luz. Like Arles, it has a wide range of restaurant choice, from starred places to casual pinxos bars. My go-to table in Ciboure would be Chez Mattin (pronounced Maatcheen), excellent and very festive, but it's classical Basque cusine with seafood focus and you don't want classic, right ? Actually San Sebastian is just on the Spanish side, a 40-minute drive away. It my be my favoriate food city of Europe. A Birthday Pinxos Crawl may not be a birthday thing but it's creative and outrageously good.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Parigi, thanks so much for your thoughtful, thorough post! We have considered many of these areas (Basque country, Provence) but would much prefer to visit them in better weather, and spend more time there. We were in San Sebastian many years ago and loved it. Ditto for Normandy and Brittany.

We could easily just spend the entire time in Paris, revisiting old favorites and trying some new spots, but thought it might be fun to add in a mini-break outside the city.
I think we've narrowed down our choices to Beaune/Burgundy and Reims/Champagne and have our eye on a couple of restaurants, though a couple won't be taking reservations until the beginning of July.

We know the Beaune/Burgundy area very well, but like the Basque country and actually the rest of the country, it is also an area that is much nicer in the warmer months. Ceci dit, I would recommend the prestigious wine village Pernand-Vergelesses. It has a 1-star restaaurant Charlemagne.
I can also recommend the b&b Maison de la Berthe, with a view of beautiful slopes of vines on all sides, well, in June and September. The owners are very nice and serve a breakfast with fresh eggs from their one chicken, LOL, and jam made with fruit from their fruit trees. Not sure it is open in December. -- It is a 1O-minute drive from Beaune, on the northern slopes.
One word on San Sebastian, where I left my heart. Once we kept running into Anthony Bourdain there ! Actually he kept coming after us into a whole series of our favorite pinxos bars. He looked very nice, very personable, and very handsome. Sigh.

sigh, indeed. we live in western Mass/northern CT and the episodes he did about Provincetown and the Greenfield/Shelburne Falls area were beautiful and heartbreaking.
we were on a family trip in Spain, with our three daughters, and there was lots of drama throughout (long story), but we walked to dinner in a light rain to the "other" side of the bay, where the small seafood restaurants are (you know the ones where the catches of the day are displayed on those wooden easel-trays?), when the rain stopped and a rainbow appeared. and then we had some of the best seafood of our lives, on those rickety tables with oilskin tablecloths.
will check out Charlemagne! right now we're contemplating Maison Marcon (I know it's basically in the middle of nowhere) and Lameloise.

Lameloise is very good but is traditional. I thought you wanted something less traditional. It is also in a town and not in the countryside.

yes, I am nothing if not inconsistent :~)! the "birthday boy" thought the menu at Lameloise looked great, and in terms of "countryside", what we really mean is outside Paris. if we end up at a place a little further out, which also offers rooms to stay overnight, that would be ideal for not having to drive far after dinner.

If I understand, you want a non-traditional restaurant in the countryside, to escape the bleak winterscape, in December. But traditional cuisine can be ok too, and so are non-countryside locations. Well, at least now you have a wider range of choice. :)

Wow! I just never cease to be amazed about the fantastic help you can get on this site! Kudos to Parigi.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina