• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Berner Oberland Swiss Alps, Lenk, apartment in town, 2bed/2bath

The Alps in Switzerland in the Bern Canton.

Pauline

Forums Admin
Date of Stay: September 2016, 2 weeks
Agency: www.ferienlenk.ch
Apartment: Kronenmatte 12C, 5 star
Lenk Tourist Website: www.lenk-simmental.ch
Trip Report: Posted on the forums
We loved this apartment and plan to book it again for next summer.

Edited to add that we spent 2 weeks in this apartment again in August 2017 and have it booked for September 2018. The other apartment on the ground level, almost the same as this one, has been added to their rentals. Hotel Sternen and FerienLenk are now affiliated with Hotel Krone (also in Lenk).

This was our third stay in Lenk. The first two times we booked through Interhome who represent the local agency FerienLenk. This time we booked directly with the local agency (it was cheaper) and chose an apartment in the town center. The agency is run by Erika who also runs the Hotel Sternen. Erika speaks German and French, but not much English. Her husband speaks English, so when we are there if we can't manage the conversation, he will step in. To book I emailed in English and she responded in German, which I translated using Google.

The apartment is in a chalet built in the last few years, so everything is new and perfect. There are two apartments on each floor, and three floors. Kronenmatte 12C is on the ground floor. The flooring is wood throughout the apartment. All the fixtures are top quality and beautiful. There are many windows and it is a bright apartment.

It is a large apartment with two bedrooms and two bathrooms (both with large showers). The beds are two singles joined together, which is typical in Switzerland. The kitchen is very good and well equipped. It has a Nespresso coffee machine (buy Nespresso pods from the agency). It is open to the living area with a large dining table. This main living area has large windows and a door to the terrace. There is a 60 inch TV set with internet. We were able to login to our UK Netflix account on it. There is good wifi in the apartment.

The terrace faces west, so gets the afternoon sun. There is a awning that we used on hot days (you press a button and it extends). Since you are at ground level the views are not outstanding, but you look out onto a field and up to the mountain where the gondola goes up. If you look south you see the mountains at the end of the valley.

There is a parking spot in a secure underground parking lot. The spot that goes with this apartment is extra wide, which was nice. The parking lot is easy to get in and out of.

There is a laundry room near the parking lot that is shared by the three FerienLenk apartments that are in this building. It has a washer and dryer.

The location is excellent, right in the center of town. It is one of three new chalets built at the edge of a field, but you are only a few steps from the center of town. The Coop supermarket is only a few steps away. Two good bakeries are not much further. The bus and train station is a 5 minute walk and the Betelberg Gondola is a 10 minute walk.

There are two odd things about the apartment. One is the living room sofa - it is very deep! You can't sit on it like a regular sofa unless you put a bunch of pillow behind you. It works best to curl up on it with your feet under you. The second thing is beside the terrace. There is a grate from the underground parking. It doesn't affect you because it is just a small underground lot for the chalet and you don't get fumes or anything. It just looks odd.

We paid 1260CHF per week (almost the same in dollars). This apartment would easily work with two couples.

The last two visits to Lenk we were outside of town, up a steep mountain road. I loved being in town, getting up in the morning and walking out to the bakery to pickup things for breakfast.

Spacious living room and the largest TV I have ever seen.

kronenmatte-lenk-4570.jpg

Standing on the terrace looking south.

kronenmatte-lenk-4506.jpg

Last edited:
wow - I knew Switzerland was expensive, but 1260 per week - is that 'normal', or was there something about this apartment that might make it more expensive? I realize having 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms makes the price go up, and it's been a long time since we visited Switzerland, so maybe I'm just out of touch with prices, but ouch!

There are much cheaper apartments. Most cheaper apartments are ground level apartments in a family's chalet - they live in the house above you. Or smaller apartments in chalets like this one. This agency has smaller apartments for 600CHF/week.

This apartment is top quality and would probably cost 500,000 CHF or more to purchase. It is large and perfectly situated. Lenk does not look like an expensive town, but it is only 45 mins from Gstaad which is a jet-set town, so prices are high.

We made the mistake of treating ourselves to one of these deluxe rentals in Lenk a few years ago. We used to rent very plain and cheap apartments in Switzerland.

We stayed in this apartment again in August 2017, for two weeks, and recommend it. The only problem was that the farmer "mucked" the adjacent field in mid-August and the smell meant the terrace was not enjoyable, but this affected all nearby apartments.

We have booked the apartment again for September 2018. The Cow Parade takes place in September and we missed it in 2017.

We stayed in this apartment for 3 weeks in 2018 and again for 3 weeks in 2019. And I have already booked for 2020. I really love this apartment and this town.

We still complain about the sofas but friends from the UK visited with us there this year and they sat down and said "What are you talking about? These are great!". I have worked out a way of sprawling comfortably on the sofa.

They upgraded the pots this year and I think the mattresses on the bed are new. Everything is in great shape.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina