• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Testing No Longer Required???

...who do not have a travel history in (see 5 additional countries) in the past 14 days before travel to Italy are not required to have a negative COVID-19 test result before arrival.
I don't think that can be true, and if it is - it will probably change. It is well established that the vaccinated can become infected with Covid again, and thus be carriers. The rate of infection is albeit small, but this is happening.

I posted it as the last post on page 2 of the thread on Europe opening to vaccinated travelers on the Italy board. The title may have been premature when the thread started, but it's a place to look for news:

I posted it as the last post on page 2 of the thread on Europe opening to vaccinated travelers on the Italy board. The title may have been premature when the thread started, but it's a place to look for news:
That's why I started a new thread - I didn't want your information to get lost in the shuffle. I guess in trying to be over-prepared I somehow missed this one very important piece of information! I wonder what the airlines' position is on this new development - do we still have to be tested for a Covid-tested flight? time to check out the AA website

From what I understand, IF you are fully vaccinated and can show documentation, you won't need to get tested before departure unless your destination requires it. If you are not vaccinated, you will need to be tested. Before returning to USA, EVERYONE needs to be tested, even if you've been vaccinated. Here is LINK to CDC.

1624546120398.png

On the AA site, the Travel Updates section has a link "Travel and health restrictions by destination," linking to JoinSherpa. For U.S.-Italy non-stop travel, you get this for a vaccinated traveler:
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.04.23 AM.png

The "COVID-19 test may be required on arrival" details refer to COVID-tested flights, which are no more. It may change by the time of travel , so keep checking.

You can also check TIMATIC, which is what check-in agents use. It's called up by all airlines, but it's easiest to access on United's site; do a Google search for United Timatic.

The "COVID-19 test may be required on arrival" details refer to COVID-tested flights, which are no more. It may change by the time of travel , so keep checking.
I didn't realize that the tests upon arrival in Italy had been discontinued. And here I was thinking I was so smart to have already booked our tests! Things can change quickly tho, so I'm not relaxing one bit! I believe this newest decree is good until July 31 (unless it changes sooner!), so who knows what the next decree will say. Thanks for all the links and updates.

ITALIAN ENTRY RESTRICTIONS:

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/n...glish&id=5412&area=nuovoCoronavirus&menu=vuot

NOTE the different rules for each "List" of countries "A" through "E", plus separate entries for: (i) the United States, Canada and Japan; (ii) the United Kingdom, (iii) Brazil, and (iv) India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

Beginning on June 21, the following is required to enter Italy FROM THE UNITED STATES (and also from Canada and Japan):

https://ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/a...mbasciata/ingressi-in-italia-dagli-usa-e.html

NOTE THAT THE U.S. CDC VACCINE CARD IS DEEMED TO BE THE FUNCTIONAL EQUIVALENT OF THE "COVID-19 GREEN CERTIFICATE."

NOTE THAT IT IS NO LONGER NECESSARY TO TAKE A "COVID-TESTED" FLIGHT TO AVOID THE PREVIOUSLY MANDATORY SELF-ISOLATION IN ITALY WHEN ENTERING FROM THE U.S., CANADA OR JAPAN.

RESTRICTIONS WITHIN ITALY:

http://www.governo.it/it/articolo/domande-frequenti-sulle-misure-adottate-dal-governo/15638

Vaccinations continue to increase, as shown in this report:

https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-vis...aggiornamento-vaccinazioni-italia/?ref=RHHD-T

FINALLY, effective June 28, wearing face masks OUTDOORS where there are no crowds AND WHERE SOCIAL DISTANCING CAN BE RESPECTED, will no longer be required (EXCEPT in the Region of Campania), although persons are asked to keep their masks ready for use when warranted, and wearing masks (even when not required) is still prudent. The rules for wearing masks in INDOOR public settings have not changed.

With regards to our CDC cards , do they have to exactly match our passports ? Our first and last names are a correct passport match but they just wrote our middle names initial not our whole middle names. Will that be a problem? We leave for Italy in 4 weeks!

In reply to vicogirl51, I don't think that this should be a problem. However, check with your airline of departure. It is they who decide whether you can board the flight to Europe/Italy. Once you are on board, your vaccination documentation will likely NOT be checked again upon arrival in Italy. Italian authorities are relying on the airlines to screen departing passengers (although the border control agents in Italy continue to have the authority to re-check the documents if they wish).

In my earlier post I was concerned about by CDC Covid Vaccine card exactly matching my passport well no worries as NoOne even asked to see either CDC or Plf locator form. I was on a United Newark to Rome flight. Odd!

I’m in Italy and not sure why they changed the testing requirement again other than they are afraid of the US visitors bringing in the Delta variant.
I read somewhere earlier today Italy also not happy that they can’t travel to the US as I believe that ban has not been lifted.
I also read the reinstatement of testing document and it seems we fall in with India , Brazil ,Japan and one other country.
The world as we knew it has changed!

The European Union on Monday recommended that its member countries reintroduce travel restrictions for visitors from the United States who are unvaccinated against the coronavirus. It’ll be up to the member states to decide whether or not to impose them. LINK
Until the majority of people get vaccinated, these type of restrictions will be enacted intermittently, and with us ad infinitum.​

Last edited:
BOTTOM LINE is that, starting at 12:01 a.m., Italy time on August 31, BOTH of the following will be required to enter Italy if coming from the United Kingdom, Canada, Japan or the United States (or if having stayed in or transited through those countries in the 14 days prior to entering Italy):

(i) negative Molecular or Antigen Covid-19 test result collected no more than 72 hours prior to ARRIVAL in Italy (48 hours in the case of entry from the U.K.); AND

(ii) proof of FULL vaccination with an approved vaccine at least 14 days prior to arrival in Italy, OR proof of having recovered from Covid-19 in the timeframes allowed (and subject to content and format requirements of the recovery document).

Failure to satisfy EITHER requirement will result in mandatory fiduciary self-isolation for 5 days, followed by a SECOND Covid-19 test at the conclusion of the period of self-isolation. Note that (i) is non-waivable (except for children under age 6). I assume that children between 6 and 12 (who cannot presently be vaccinated) need only satisfy (i) as long as traveling with a fully vaccinated and tested parent or guardian. Children age 12 and above (who can be vaccinated) are treated exactly as adults.

Please also note that airlines MAY impose more stringent requirements to board flights to Italy (for safety or corporate policy reasons) than those imposed by the Italian Government. For example, an airline COULD deny boarding to a non-vaxxed passenger who refuses to get vaccinated despite being eligible (i.e. over age 12), OR to a vaxxed passenger who has not gotten a negative test result, even though the Italian Entry Regulations WOULD allow such person to enter Italy, subject to the 5-day self-isolation requirement.

See:

For persons arriving in Italy from the United States, see:

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina