• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Train from Orvieto to Rome

I may be too late in this response but thought I'd add my two cents. I take the Orvieto train to and from Rome a couple of times a year. I do not book in advance because a) there is never a line at that station (maybe 2 people if that) b) there are daily trains, running the hour long trip into Rome Central. I go to the station about 30 or 40 minutes before scheduled arrival, buy a ticket and then wait. Sometimes a little late! You don't have to go to Tiburtina, which I don't do as I just get to Rome Central and get the Leonardo Express to the airport. It runs every 15 minutes. And I've not had a drop charge when I've left a Hertz car, in the past. Not sure how it is these days.

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

We did book the tickets on Italiarail, which was very easy to use.

We have to return the car in the morning, so we have to wait until Hertz opens. There is only one train, after that, in the morning, going to Termini.

You said there are only a few people waiting for the train. BUT Is it usually crowded when it gets to Orvieto??
We have luggage and are hoping there will be room.

We never had a drop charge renting from Hertz, that we know of, unless it was added into the price.

Thank-you for responding --hope to hear back.

I don't think it will be that crowded, though I've not been there in summer months for many years. I know Fridays get very, very crowded but Saturday should be fine at that time of day. And, there are some spaces for luggage between the carriages; sometimes behind the seats at the end of a car. Don't worry about it, as the Italians are very accommodating and friendly so will help you out if you just greet them or ask. It's a vacation, try not to over-think it! Just have a great time. And it's just a little over an hour on that leg of the trip, anyway; not like a 5 hour ride!

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

I don't think it will be that crowded, though I've not been there in summer months for many years. I know Fridays get very, very crowded but Saturday should be fine at that time of day. And, there are some spaces for luggage between the carriages; sometimes behind the seats at the end of a car. Don't worry about it, as the Italians are very accommodating and friendly so will help you out if you just greet them or ask. It's a vacation, try not to over-think it! Just have a great time. And it's just a little over an hour on that leg of the trip, anyway; not like a 5 hour ride!

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

Thank-you again for the info.
This is our first experience with a train, other than jumping on one in Sorrento to go to Pompeii.
We always drive. It's Sept 29th, so maybe the end of summer season and not too many crowds.

Thanks for the idea of picking the end of a car to possibly get luggage space.
We will keep that in mind when boarding.

Yes, for the length of time, we were even willing to stand if it was crowded.

You are so right, the Italians are very friendly and always willing to help.
I just wish I could speak their language a little better--especially when most of my relatives don't speak English.

Thanks again
Terry

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina