• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Travel Guidance Needed

AbideTraveller

10+ Posts
Hello, My fellow travellers. I am planning a Mexico trip later this year. Though it's not related to Europe, I am posting here because this forum is kinda helpful for information gathering. I am certain many of you have been to Mexico before. What I want to know, Mexican People are mainly Spanish-speaking people. I don't know the slightest bit of idea about Spanish. How do I overcome that language barrier?

Here are some thoughts, don't know how helpful this might be :
1) it might be that you can do quite well with English alone, that depends on what type of places and people your itinerary includes. If by any chance you want to be completely dependent on English, then just look for the services that offer options for English speakers. They might not necessarily offer a fully authentic experience, though.
2) Google Translate keeps getting better and better. As you probably know, you can not only use your phone to type in a word for immediate translation, the app can also translate a text as seen through the phone's camera, as well as translate voiced input.
3) "later this year" still gives you time to develop a basic vocabulary in Spanish. Think of words and phrases you believe you'll need, and make a list of them with their translations. One hundred words/phrases like this would be a good start, if you manage to learn them by heart.
4) there are many resources that can help you develop your skills even further than this with the time you have, but this will also necessitate a greater effort on your part. I've had some good experience with the Duo Lingo app (when I study Italian). There are many more. I used Rick Steve's Italian phrase book for travelers for my first trip to Italy, and he has one like this for Spanish.

Last edited:
Joe yeah I have Google Translate in mind. Also thinking about learning some basic phrase in Spanish. Will give Duo lingo a try.

I particularly agree with Joe's number 3, as even a poor but genuine attempt makes a superb impression, and even the mistakes can break the ice and shared laughter is a great way to bond. After all what could be worse than what my friend said during their school exchange trip to France, at a reasonably large family meal...
(What she thought she was saying in French): "I'm full"
(What she actually said in French): "I'm full with child"
:woot::eek: :bag::D

¡Hola Abide Traveller!
We owned and lived in a house in Mexico for seven years. In my experience, Mexicans are very supportive of visitors who want to practice their beginner Spanish (and many will want to practice their English with you).

Please know "Spain Spanish" is not the same as Latin America/Mexico Spanish. Lonely Planet's Mexican Spanish Phrasebook and Dictionary is excellent for travelers.

If you want to go deeper, listen to Pimsleur's Latin America Spanish lessons. By just listening and repeating, I learned conversational Spanish perfect for travel and daily living.

Even if your vocabulary only includes buenos dias (good morning), buenas tardes (good afternoon—what you say from noon until nighttime), mucho gusto (nice to meet you), hola, por favor, lo siento (I'm sorry), gracias, and adios, your efforts will be greatly appreciated and your travel enjoyment enhanced.

Last edited:
In my experience in Mexico if you are in any touristy areas many people speak good English. If you are off the beaten path you will want to use an app or learn some key phrases.

In my experience in Mexico if you are in any touristy areas many people speak good English. If you are off the beaten path you will want to use an app or learn some key phrases.
Hi Liz. I have start using Duolingo as well as this site for further studies https://studyspanish.com/ and this one https://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Mexican-Spanish-Phrasebook-Dictionary/dp/1742201881 So far it's kinda good and also challenging to learn a new language altogether. Kind of enjoying the journey though. Like all of a sudden, a new thrilling adventure is going on with me. Anyway I was looking for alternatives too like in case I lost my interest midway of learning and found this https://gowithguide.com/mexico/guides . Don't know having guide how much is this going to help, it's just a second thought. Hopefully will be able to communicate in Spanish by December. Let's hope for the best, and Enjoy my journey so far :)

I particularly agree with Joe's number 3, as even a poor but genuine attempt makes a superb impression, and even the mistakes can break the ice and shared laughter is a great way to bond. After all what could be worse than what my friend said during their school exchange trip to France, at a reasonably large family meal...
(What she thought she was saying in French): "I'm full"
(What she actually said in French): "I'm full with child"
:woot::eek: :bag::D
I am full with child! that's good one though

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina