• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Communications Using a Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Phones, computers, internet.
Many TV networks allow only people in their country to watch their TV shows online. For example, if you live in the US, you cannot watch BBC shows online. Or if you live in Europe, you cannot watch Jon Stewart's The Daily Show online. Or can you?

Yes you can. Use a VPN (virtual private network) to "fake" your IP address, so you look like you are in that country and then you can access their TV on the internet. The TV websites look at your IP address, the internet address where you logged in, and can tell what country you are in. The VPN lets you chose where you login. So if you want to watch UK TV online, log in via the UK.

I use Witopia which you pay for, but @Jim Zurer recommends HOLA which is free. And there are other options.

I use Hotspot Shield. It also has free version but it is slow to watch videos. I recommend getting paid VPN.

I subscribed to a VPN (My Expat Network), but all the network shows (ABC,CBS, NBC) still ask for your cable/satellite provider, so I'm still not able to watch anything!

Well if you have a cable subscription you can use the login and password for your cable service.

I often watch HBO Go from abroad using VPN and my Comcast login.

This year I'm using Express VPN and yes, I'm seeing where the networks ask me to sign in to my 'local' cable provider. So far, I'm up-to-date with the new fall shows, like Grey's Anatomy and This Is Us and The Big Bang Theory!

I use Nord in the US, but haven't tried to use it outside the US...we're always busy, busy, busy. But I believe that there are also geographic restrictions / differences on streaming services like Netflix, Prime, etc. So using a VPN will let you get access to what you can get at home (i.e., in the US) as well as 'fake' your location and get access to other content.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina