• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Food & Drink When in France...

What do you prefer?

• Croque Monsieur

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Croque Madam

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Skip Both and have a Salad

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Colo

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Inquiring Minds Want to Know!

:oops: I have to admit I'd never heard of Croque Madame, so I had to look it up!

That said, I suspect I'd prefer it

Updated for Joe ;)

when in france 1.png

There's hope for humanity yet! ;)

While in France just a few days ago, I did have a croque-monsieur once because it was the quick and easy option and well, I don't mind them. It's also usually a pretty good choice. That being said, of all the European countries I have been to, France is BY FAAAAAR the best at salads! They are beautiful, generous, delicious and simply glorious! When I think of the "salads" we had in Portugal...yikes!

While in France just a few days ago, I did have a croque-monsieur once because it was the quick and easy option and well, I don't mind them. It's also usually a pretty good choice. That being said, of all the European countries I have been to, France is BY FAAAAAR the best at salads! They are beautiful, generous, delicious and simply glorious! When I think of the "salads" we had in Portugal...yikes!
Italian salads can be exceptionally good, and it's something that's inspired us when we make salads back in the UK. I berate the 'English salad' of lettuce, tomato and cucumber.

We went into DC last night to see "To Kill a Mockingbird" and had dinner at a casual French Restaurant. Where I enjoyed a wonderful Croque Madam and a glass (or two) of Quincy.
Dinner and Play both were Outstanding!

As for salad... Take me to Greece - Nothing like a Horiatiki Salad.
The tomatoes in Greece are like no other.
A Horiatiki Salad is Simple & Fresh and most importantly not covered in goopy dressing that covers the taste of fruit.
Remember cucumbers and tomatoes are fruits not vegetables.

With our current heat wave, we’ve been replicating a salad we had on a blisteringly hot day somewhere in Paris. Nothing earth shattering, just a nice balance of fresh ingredients. A pile of slightly bitter greens, garden tomatoes, sliced sweet peppers and onion, good tuna, black olives, a bit of chèvre, tons of chopped herbs and a light, tangy vinaigrette.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina