• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Where to go for a few weeks of warmer weather in November?

Pauline

Forums Admin
Now that it seems like we are staying in England, I want to get into the habit of spending 2 - 4 weeks somewhere a bit milder in the late fall and early spring, spending the winter at home. For the last few years we have gone away in April - once to Nimes (Languedoc, France), last year to Sicily, this year to Puglia/Basilicata. All three were good breaks with sunshine and warmer temps than at home (except for two days of that "mistral" in Arles before we went to Nimes).

I don't want to go too far - not to the Caribbean or Florida, for example.

For the spring trip, I am thinking Greece next year (or Israel).

For the fall trip, the possibilities that occur to me are: Nice (southern France), Sicily, Grenada or Seville (southern Spain). Some place where we could settle into a nice vacation rental, do some exploring and some walking. Any suggestions or comments?

@Chris and @Lisa in Ottawa - I know you both have been in Nice in the off season. How did you like it?

Well, you could meet up with Philippa & me in Seville during the last week in October! I haven't looked closely at temperatures for then - but it's the one week we have free then, so we're going.

We have been to Nice twice in December. That was the Christmas season, so it would be different from November, but the weather was pretty good both times. Of course, we were coming from Boston then, and almost anything in France would have been better than New England! Now that we live in California, I think the weather in Nice is probably pretty similar to our winter weather here.

I think in general the weather along the Riviera tends to be better than inland. I recall when we were there in December, the TV weather forecasts kept showing rain pretty much everywhere in France except the area around Nice. The Italian coast would be another possibility. We spent a week once in Feb / Mar along the Tuscan coast south of Pisa. We were taking language courses at a school there, but it was a nice area to visit.

Now that it seems like we are staying in England, I want to get into the habit of spending 2 - 4 weeks somewhere a bit milder in the late fall and early spring, spending the winter at home. For the last few years we have gone away in April - once to Nimes (Languedoc, France), last year to Sicily, this year to Puglia/Basilicata. All three were good breaks with sunshine and warmer temps than at home (except for two days of that "mistral" in Arles before we went to Nimes).

I don't want to go too far - not to the Caribbean or Florida, for example.

For the spring trip, I am thinking Greece next year (or Israel).

For the fall trip, the possibilities that occur to me are: Nice (southern France), Sicily, Grenada or Seville (southern Spain). Some place where we could settle into a nice vacation rental, do some exploring and some walking. Any suggestions or comments?

@Chris and @Lisa in Ottawa - I know you both have been in Nice in the off season. How did you like it?
We've been to Nice 2x. once just before Christmas for several days and it poured for some of the time. And then for 5 weeks Feb/ March. I love Nice. I wouldn't go until Nov and not after mid April or begin May just b/c of how crowded and hot it gets. But off season it's great. There might be rain in November. We didn't have a car. There are lots of places one can walk to and/or take a bus. It's a good size. not too big and not too small. I'm thinking of going back there as I miss it. Many people like staying in Old Town but I prefer the Port and around Liberation market.

Seville/ Grenada are also good choices. I think you would find similar weather to Nice. Seville is a big city and I think finding walks you can get to a little more challenging.
We used the Sunflower guide and went on lovely walks from our digs near Rhonda which i think is fairly close to Grenada. But you would need a car.

I've stayed in Nice in late September and late March. I loved it both times, and didn't find it to be terribly crowded either time. Warmer in September than March. Have you investigated the walks along the coast? I imagine there are probably some good ones.

Another option I should consider is Madeira, an island in the Atlantic, near the Canaries, but part of Portugal. There is supposed to be very good walking (a friend here recommended it to me). I bought the walking guide thinking we would go last winter, but we didn't.

Another option I should consider is Madeira, an island in the Atlantic, near the Canaries, but part of Portugal. There is supposed to be very good walking (a friend here recommended it to me). I bought the walking guide thinking we would go last winter, but we didn't.
Yes, I've thought of Madeira and have done some initial investigation but I don't think it would suit for a month. However, If I were you and thinking of short break from the UK and interested in scenic walks then I think it would fit the bill.

I had big plans for a winter trip in November and another trip in spring, but I think our next trip will be in May. I am planning our week in Tuscany with friends (university friends from Canada) and we will add on another week.

This move from the Cotswolds to Dorset was consuming, and now we are buying a house!! We thought we would rent for a year and then buy, but the perfect house came along (I have been watching the real estate here for a year and we have looked at a few places) and this rental is not as long-term as I thought (landlords are selling their house overseas and moving here once it sells). One more move in March and then I can stop thinking about "where are we going to live?" and get back to living.

The house is in a village on the edge of Bridport. We will be able to walk to Bridport center in 30mins or walk to the seaside in 30mins. The house we are renting is in the center of town (5mins from the high street). It is nice being close to town, but I would rather be close to the farm fields and walking trails as we were before.

Are you traveling this winter?

Congratulations, Pauline. How exciting. I thought you might be busy with the move s you have not been as active as usual on the Boards.
I am going to Geneva end of January. See above, Switzerland forum. Ron has meetings. We are renting studio in Geneva and I will tootle about on my own.

And our big trip is in March. See Spain/Portugal Board. Am excited about that one. All new places. Madrid, Lisbon and Madeira.

No I have not been on the computer much. Packing and unpacking was endless for this move, even though we don't have much stuff!! The house we are renting is large, too large for us, and the master bedroom ensuite and closet are very scented - so have been scrubbing and scrubbing (vinegar, baking soda, steam cleaning - I even put trays of charcoal about to absorb odors). Then all the upheaval with buying a house.

I have many new day trips to add, and things to post on the forums. I am just getting back to it all now.

I did see that you are going to Geneva. I am going to book us 2 weeks in Lenk again in the summer - August or September - for hiking. Spain and Portugal will be good in March I think - have fun!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina