• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Best place to stay in Lake Como

Are you looking for a hotel or an apartment?

As far as best time of year, we always prefer spring or fall for all of Italy. That being said, we've been there in summer and winter and have never been disappointed.

Where is better to stay while in Lake Como, a hotel or apartment. Never thought about an apartment while on vacation.
I like to travel to Italy in the Spring (April/May).
Lou

We have stayed in Varenna on Lake Como for many years. We will be staying there again next May. We Always stay at Albergo Milano in Varenna. It is directly on the lake and it is a small boutique type hotel. Breakfast is included in the price. It is owned by a husband and wife, and the husband is also the chef for the hotel, serving dinner. Email is,,, reservations@varenna.net. They are open to the public for dinner, and he cooks all the meals. There are several choices for rooms, but we always stay in Room #1 or 2. #1 has a shower, and #2 tub with shower. They each have a lovely large terrace, and we spend many hours relaxing with the beautiful view of the lake. Parking can be an issue in Varenna, and the hotel does offer parking in the town parking garage. I believe it is 15 Euro per day. We used to park for free on the street, but there are more tourist now, and you can't be sure to find a spot.

This is a small town, and many hotels and apartments are on small alleyways with several facing the lake. Albergo Milano is a short walk along the lake to the Water Ferry's. We alway take the Ferry just to visit some of the other towns or just for a wonderful view of the lake. Bellagio is a fun town to visit, but we find the town of Como itself rather dull. Some really wonderful restaurants in Varenna, including the place right across from the Albergo. Another tiny restaurant is a short walk from the hotel, and the owner is also the chef. All these places are very popular, so reservations in advance are a must.

We usually visit Italy in May and October.

Last edited:
A few years ago we stayed for a week so we rented an apartment. We had the whole top floor of a 3 story building with parking. I forget what we paid, but it was very reasonable. I tried a brief search for it and couldn't find a listing. I have a feeling the owner may have sold the building.

On our last trip there a couple years ago we stayed at the Palace Hotel. It is centrally located right on the lake. We were very pleased with our stay.

When we go back we will try another town on the lake. I will definitely check out Sharon's recommendation.

I've used Menaggio as a base for travel on the lake and its towns and sites. Had a wonderful stay at Hotel Garni-Corona and highly recommend it for price, location, and comfort. Menaggio is larger than Varenna and, in my opinion, as charming. On my last visit I stayed in Como and loved the city. Not Bellagio or Varenna to be sure, but wonderful to wander through and discover old city's attractions and sites. Incomparable lakefront! I found some wonderful restaurants, espresso bars and gelaterie. At 78, I am a slow-traveler willing or not. I discovered a great deal to like about Como by just wandering around, meeting locals, and asking for their recommendations.

What is the best place to stay in Lake Como?
What is the best time of year to visit Lake Como?
We went in early/mid September and were able to swim in the lake, not sure which spring month the water warms up? Not sure of what your "must haves" are? We want to go back to experience more because everywhere we went was incredibly beautiful! Wrote a report about our brief stay last September.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina