• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Dropping off a rental car in Rome - airport? or Termini?

Pippi

We would like to hire a car in Bologna and after spending 10 days in the Tuscan countryside want to drop it off at Rome before spending 4 days in Rome. We will be staying in the Termini area but not sure how easy it is to drive there to drop the car off? Would we be better to drop it off at the FCO Airport and then train into Rome or drop it off at Termini?
Thank you in advance for the advice.

Getting it to Termini itself (typically a garage on via Giolitti), is potentially difficult, even with GPS, getting alerted in time to be in the correct lane, and a stretch where a median makes traffic drive on the left. Most companies also use garages on via Sardegna; they may be shown as Via Veneto area, and those are easier to get to if you've studied the route in advance. You could use the airport to reduce worries.

I returned a car to termini location only one time out of 20 trips - and it was the first trip (pre-iPhone gps). Since that difficult experience, we have always dropped off at FCO and taken train or taxi/town car into Rome, depending on hotel location and luggage (we’ve taken to spending our last night at airport Hilton to allow for decent breakfast, easy walk to terminal, and less stress on morning of travel), If your hotel is a real hike from termini, note that finding a taxi at the train station itself has apparently become more difficult of late due to relative shortage of taxis. But your hotel will typically help arrange your transport back to FCO for your flight if you need assistance.

We have returned our rental car to Termini each time we have spent a week in Tuscany and then returned to Rome to spend our final few days before flying home. The first time we did it, I researched and googled the route beforehand so that I knew exactly what it would look like and we drove in with no problems. My husband is the driver…I am the navigator…which makes things much easier.
That being said, we are eager to try the Via Sardegna location next time as Andrew has convinced me that this might be a better return location. Our next trip to Italy this November involves no car…we are spending the entire 8 days in Rome with our family of 8 adults and 2 children.

Having driven a car once in Rome, I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that I will never do it again. I've never been in an actual war zone, but driving there seems like one. I remember just getting behind the biggest struck we could find and hoping they were going in the same general direction that we needed to go.

Once on the A1 it wasn't as bad, but navigating on the smaller roads was a real challenge. This was pre-smartphone/google maps days, and this would have been a big help. But we had so much stress and difficulty that on the six trips to Europe we've taken since then, we only use public transport and have never rented a car. Good luck!

Driving in an Italian city is a death wish -- and probably an invitation for some significant ZTL fines.

Driving on the autostrada is a snap and wish the US could train people to drive right and pass left. The rural road markings with the towns listed in order of their proximity on the road is outstanding. Roundabouts speed traffic through the towns along the way.

Personally, have the opposite conclusion -- public transportation is hot, crowded, subject to pickpocket opportunities, a pain when carrying luggage, and limiting in what you can see and do. We use it in selected circumstances, but use of the car is always the first choice.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina