• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Scenarios for travel in the near future

France: And this is what you can't do when you arrive (posted on French Government Twitter feed 2 May 2020) ...

French Government Twitter - Covid-19 Restrictions 2 May 2020.jpg

Here's an article from the news site "Wanted in Rome" about the restrictions in place in the present "Phase 2" in Italy. Not very encouraging for those of us still considering a trip there in the near future. Especially the last paragraph : "The restrictions are expected to continue for the next few months- if not longer- and the phase 3 will only start after the finding of a specific cure or vaccine".

Europe promises to reopen for summer tourism in wake of coronavirus
Tamara Hardingham-Gill, CNN • Updated 13th May 2020

Two articles from "Vox" I found interesting, showing additional sides of what is hiding under the Corona statistics.

The first one, based on robust serological testing in Spain, one of the most hard-hit countries, reports on how there is no substantial percent of the population there that has gone through the virus asymptomatically, and thus could have theoretically provided a building block for the beginning of "herd immunity". What this means, unfortunately, is that only a very small percent of the population has been exposed to the virus, with devastating consequences. Theoretically, they were not even close to a worst-case scenario, in spite of the extreme suffering. The bottom line is that the vast majority of the population there, and probably elsewhere, is still very vulnerable to infection.

The second one relates why, in the state of California, things are not going as well as expected in spite of the stay-at-home restrictions. It appears that not all lockdowns are equal, and unfortunately what feels like a complete lockdown is not always good enough.

The results of a Spanish study on Covid-19 immunity have a scary takeaway
By Matthew Yglesias May 16, 2020

I'd be interested to hear a *considered* response from the UK government (not a shoot-from-the-hip guess to a no-notice question from clever-dick journo).

As badly as I want to travel, I don't think it will be feasible for Americans to go abroad much before the fall of 2021. Yes, I will go if the virus has diminished substantially and a vaccine is available, quarantines aren't required either in the country I'm visiting and to return to the US, and that most restaurants and museums, etc. are open. I'm good with socially distancing to a certain extent. If I need to wear a mask on the plane and in public places, I'll do it. That seems a small price to pay to visit Italy and other countries in Europe.

Here in Australia we are not able to travel overseas unless without permission and a very good reason, perhaps compassionate grounds. And the government has indicated it will not be rushing to open our international borders. We cannot travel between states either. Since Saturday in our state, we can travel within 150 kms from home for a day trip but not overnight, and our state border is closed. Compared to a lot of other countries we have so far fared well. We are just hoping the relaxing of restrictions does not lead to increased cases. Travellers returning from overseas have been required to quarantine in hotels for two weeks since end of March early April.

Personally I can not see us travelling back to France until 2021, and then maybe not until later in the year. I will be happy when we can travel further within our state and later interstate. Overseas is a long way in the future.

We were due to go self-catering next month to a coastal town near to Nantes, France, but after an amicable discussion with the property owner (who's had to cancel their vacation in Spain), we have delayed it until September 2020. Our Air France flights were re-booked fairly easily - the AF web-site couldn't identify the flights that we wanted (showing on Skyscanner and linking to AF for flights to purchase), but an online request effected the necessary changes within about 20 mins. Fingers crossed ...

The restaurant in the article, Armando al Pantheon, is one of my favourites in Rome. I remember it as small and crowded. I would love to see more distance between tables in restaurants just to make it less crowded and so I would be further away from perfume wearers :D, plus of course for health reasons. Maybe restaurants will have to raise their prices to make up for fewer people in the room.

As (let's be generous & say "verbal" or "outgoing") tourists, our experiences at Armando al Pantheon were always enhanced by talking to the folks at the adjacent table(s). Without being intrusive of course :rolleyes:. Locals were eager to share their love for the place & assist with our dinner negotiations (& ask about NYC, especially Brooklyn), while other, English speaking, tourists were interested in trading stories or getting my wife's assistance (she speaks Italian reasonably well). The waitstaff were always supportive of this, as it made accuracy much easier for them & helped them explain some dishes. I really don't know how that cozy, warm, communal atmosphere can hold up for us. More table spacing is expected at white tableclothed staid places, but (obviously) we like the closeness at places like Armando al Pantheon.

There's a "had to be there" story to tell as well. I guess the reserved table next to us was a no show & the front of house was desperate to fill it, so they let in a couple of very verbal young 20-somethings wearing cut-off shorts/sneakers from Dallas who were reasonably tipsy, knew nothing of the place (or Roman food for that matter), and just happened to be walking by, hungry. They were, uhh, very "social" & were just interested in making friends with the world and eating well. They responded to our "guidance" and we kept them talking to us (my wife has family in Dallas) throughout. Most importantly, they failed to cause a ruckus. As American youngstas are prone to do, they zipped thru dinner and the table emptied in an hour. They were happy campers & the waitstaff bought us drinks and dessert. My guess is that the rest of the surrounding tables would've chipped in for our dinner had they been asked.

Our Switzerland trip for end of August/September is looking good! I went on the Lenk tourist office site and they are welcoming visitors. The mountain buses and gondola start up in the next few weeks. France will be opening its borders to tourists soon and we drive from the UK thru France. Although I have enjoyed being forced to stay home I will be happy to get out of here towards the end of summer.

Summer will be busy where we live with Brits doing more travel locally (as predicted).

Guardian - We're not going on a summer holiday – and that's why No 10 is worried
Katy Balls (the Spectator’s deputy political editor), 20 May 2020

"The first holiday likely to be allowed will be camping – if that works out, then private home hire could be next. Hotels are viewed as harder to reopen due to the number of people coming and going."

@ProfKarolSikora 22 May 2020: "I'm not sure about this quarantine period. If it is happening, why not start sooner? Expect to see some busy airports over the next few days. In Vienna and elsewhere it's possible to get tested on arrival so you avoid the 14 days - something for us to think about."

Whilst I have much time for the poster's general philosophy, I doubt that I would want to play 'Covid-19 lottery' with vacation travel at any airport.

@ProfKarolSikora 22 May 2020: " In Vienna and elsewhere it's possible to get tested on arrival so you avoid the 14 days - something for us to think about."

Whilst I have much time for the poster's general philosophy, I doubt that I would want to play 'Covid-19 lottery' with vacation travel at any airport.

I think that is exactly the dilemma that each one has to decide about according to their own personal considerations.
If I were planning to go hiking for a week in the Alps, then four hours in an airport (altogether, going and returning) would not worry me very much in the scheme of things - the measures that will be put in place in airports will probably be more strict than in one's local supermarket, university or gas station (the flight itself is a different matter - I am not keen on going back already to public transportation).

The main deterrent now (and for what appears will be a long, and perhaps indefinite time - until there is a useful vaccine, or until the virus will possibly just disappear) seems to be that it just isn't fun to do urban travel with all these distancing, masks, and restrictions. Otherwise the "new normal", whether you are in your hometown or at your vacation rental in a foreign country, looks to be pretty much the same (once the lock-downs are eased).

Our Switzerland trip for end of August/September is looking good!

And now it isn’t looking good. The UK will now quarantine visitors from France (and elsewhere) and France will quarantine UK visitors. A week ago it looked like they would allow visitors between the two countries. Things keep changing.

I follow @ProfKarolSikora on Twitter too.

The Local FR - Quarantine for people travelling between UK and France after British government announcement, 23 May 2020

NB A certain asymmetry ...

UK: "Failure to stick to the conditions of self-isolation could net a £1,000 fine in England, with the government saying that public health officials would make spot checks. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will set their own fine levels."

France: "The French government later released a fuller statement on its quarantine plans, which it said would be a 'voluntary quarantine' - people coming from the UK are asked to self-isolate for 14 days but there will be no spot-checks or fines as the British government is planning."

And now it isn’t looking good. The UK will now quarantine visitors from France (and elsewhere) and France will quarantine UK visitors. A week ago it looked like they would allow visitors between the two countries. Things keep changing.
For those of us who hope to travel safely in 2020, in some way, it's an emotional roller coaster to read the new headlines each day. In Italy last weekend they announced travel across regions and within the EU would be allowed from 3rd June which sounded far too nice and unlikely to be true but was enough to set me off musing on which normally full of tourists destinations I might be able to get to in Italy. Now they are saying, perhaps not.......especially from Lombardy.
Until a few days ago Spain was saying no to foreign tourism indefinitely and this afternoon have announced you can think about booking your holidays there for July. Things have constantly changed every few days from when lockdowns have started to be applied and the same thing is happening now things are starting opening, but with no guarantees about what will happen.
I too would be hoping to go somewhere in September October but I just wish I had the good sense to realise I won't have the least idea if that will be actually possible until the end of August and the willpower not to keep wasting time scrolling through the press in three languages in the unrealistic hope of finding information which doesn't, and can't, exist. "Pazienza"

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina