• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Venezia 2017

Christmas lights

fullsizeoutput_2eaa.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2eb0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2eb2.jpeg

Christmas markets

fullsizeoutput_2ea7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2ea8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2eab.jpeg

After a few days of rain, it is so nice to see the sunshine.

It was lovely to sit on one of the stone benches on the Zattere absorbing some vitamin D this morning.

fullsizeoutput_2ed5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2ed7.jpeg

Then we continued our walk to the Academia bridge and then the Rialto bridge.

fullsizeoutput_2ed8.jpeg

Campanile Sant'Agnese

fullsizeoutput_2ed9.jpeg

Rio de Sant'Anzolo

Last edited:
Yesterday we visited the Basilica Santi Giovanni e Paolo, also known as San Zanipolo. It has been many years since we have been inside. What a beautiful church.

The Cappella del Rosario
fullsizeoutput_2efc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2efd.jpeg

.....love the woodwork

The church bells
fullsizeoutput_2f02.jpeg

The ospedale next door
fullsizeoutput_2f01.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2eff.jpeg

.....enjoyed watching father and son play football

Woke up to a very foggy morning. We went out for coffee at around 10:15 to a very busy Caffè del Doge.

We got to talking to these two befane, two very nice men dressed as witches
fullsizeoutput_2f0d.jpeg

Then off to Riva del Vin, at the foot of the Rialto bridge to check out the Regata delle Befane

fullsizeoutput_2f24.jpeg

These Pink Ladies (a rowing group of breast cancer survivors) handed out hot chocolate and treats
fullsizeoutput_2f2b.jpeg

An interesting former door
fullsizeoutput_2f33.jpeg

A well-preserved antique
IMG_2818.JPG

Don't know how much longer you'll be in Venice, but I found this to be a pretty good comment on Venice's restaurants: https://www.chowhound.com/post/venice-great-food-town-1066774. Do you know Alla Frasca -- if not, I hope you can make it there.
As always, loving your photos. They've given me some good ideas of places to explore in April. Thanks again for taking the time to post all your photos.

Thanks from me, too, for the photos, JT! And thanks, Ann, for that recent Chowhound thread. I've been to Alla Frasca quite a few times in the past - it's wonderfully hidden amidst some of the smaller calli of Cannaregio, and the first couple of times it took me ages to get to just the right bit. I haven't been for some time, though: I'll try to get there on my next (short) visit.

Which, coincidentally, is in April: we're there from the 4th to the 8th - does this coincide with your dates, Ann? Maybe we'll finally get to meet in person! And sorry, JT, for hijacking your thread :dork: Have a super final week in Venice - and hope to see you next time you're staying in Borough.

Yesterday we went to Cittadella (a medieval walled city) with a couple of friends by car. It was a very foggy drive but made it there safely. We found free parking just outside the walls and the sun was out. It turned out to be a beautiful walking day.

First stop was a cafe for some coffee and loo stop (and it was one of those squat toilet, very clean). Then to the entrance to go up the wall.

There are some displays both at the beginning and halfway mark -

fullsizeoutput_2f70.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2f6e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2f55.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2f53.jpeg

The walk is not for the faint-hearted. There are a lot of stairs; some uneven and narrow walkways; and just metal barriers in parts of the wall. It's a long way down.

fullsizeoutput_2f58.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2f6a.jpeg

But it's a beautiful walk especially on a beautiful day.

fullsizeoutput_2f5a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2f60.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2f57.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2f68.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2f72.jpeg

There are still places to be fixed

fullsizeoutput_2f67.jpeg

Last edited:
JT, like Jonathan, I apologize for hijacking your thread, and do enjoy your last week. And Jonathan, it looks like we will finally get to meet, as we too arrive on April 4! We're staying in Cannaregio -- https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/2br-1ba-apartment-in-venice.2736/ -- so maybe you all could come by for a glass of wine and then we could go to Alla Frasca for lunch or dinner! Really look forward to meeting you and Philippa after all these years.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina