• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Would you get one of the first vaccines if it meant you could travel internationally?

Would you get one of the early covid vaccines if required to travel internationally in 2021?

• Yes, can't wait to travel again

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No, will wait at least 6 months after approvals to see if long-term effects emerge

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Maybe, by around middle of 2021, we will see what the state of travel and the pandemic is first.

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
Re: "Control" -- it is solely up to me to assess the efficacy and safety of the vaccine(s) and to act accordingly. I can't control anyone else's masking, distancing, vaccine use, or any other actions, but I can control my own choices.

I have great trust in the CDC, FDA, WHO, and any other organization helping with this assessment.

I probably lean a little more to accepting risk -- was a mountain climber, jumped out of airplanes, and fully enjoyed the culture of the 60's and 70's ;-). I had my body pumped full of shots in anticipation of being deployed to Vietnam (I eventually wasn't) and have had seemingly unending shots over the years as part of my climbing trips and regular vacations that have taken me deep into many third world countries. So far, neither avalanches or tsetse flies have done me in -- heck, I was even in the first wave of children getting the polio vaccine way back when -- I'll see where we are after the first wave of people are vaccinated and go from there (might not even have a choice if the US is still on the "no entry" list for Europe long into next year).

So a wrinkle, instead of getting vaccinated in order to travel abroad, go abroad in order to get vaccinated earlier than you would be able to in the US?

OK, here's where discussion on a community board actually did somewhat sway my feelings about unvaccinated travel -- I was watching a golf tournament from Bermuda this weekend and learned that Bermuda was allowing US travelers upon completion of a travel authorization which included a pre-trip COVID PCR test; a cursory examination upon entry; and a second COVID test on day 4 of the stay (other days also, if staying longer). We have our test scheduled for Friday and then will make reservations for 6 day trip upon receipt of results (a check of airlines and hotels shows plenty of space, so no concern over making late reservations).

Concerns lie in check-in (both ends) and taxi. Less in dining (we can determine what we deem "safe"); not so much in airplane cabin (will be in business and Delta is showing a long list of masking, sanitizing, and spacing actions on their info board). Hotel will be beach and pool -- end of the travel season, so not expecting issues with facilities usage. Wife took spa use off the list of things to do, so no contact there.

Will check in when we get back (the 18th, if things go as planned).

So a wrinkle, instead of getting vaccinated in order to travel abroad, go abroad in order to get vaccinated earlier than you would be able to in the US?

I would have to be very well assured that the vaccine is safe. For instance at this point I would be very skeptical of the vaccine being used in Russia

It's effectiveness is not quite as critical as I would practice safe behavior any way.

Wife took spa use off the list of things to do, so no contact there.

Will check in when we get back (the 18th, if things go as planned).
Lucky guy, that alone will save you hundreds of dollars! :D

Yes, please let us know about your experience. We go to Bermuda regularly with several other couples. We live near Boston and it is only a 2 hour flight. I joke with my friends that it is such a quick flight and you feel like you're in a different country! :D

It appears that there is reason for optimism for an effective vaccine. The New York Times is reporting that Pfizer's early data shows vaccine is more than 90% effective. It requires an initial shot and a booster three weeks later. Pfizer says it expects to have 50 million vaccine doses globally this year, and 1.3 billion next year. Worldwide distribution will be a challenge. Also, the vaccine needs to be stored at ultra cold temperature -80° C or -112° F. I haven't been planning anything because of the uncertainty of the situation, and it's still a tad early, but I am going to start exploring my options.

Last edited:
They're working out the logistics. Moderna vaccine also requires cold storage but not as cold.

I recall reading somewhere that they would have to be thawed.

The Astra Zeneca/Oxford one don't need cold storage.

There will be other ones which also don't require cold storage.

Yes, please let us know about your experience. We go to Bermuda regularly with several other couples. We live near Boston and it is only a 2 hour flight. I joke with my friends that it is such a quick flight and you feel like you're in a different country! :D
Awaiting the Travel Authorization -- I'm OCD and plan trips 6-12 months in advance. Not being able to make air or hotel reservations until the authorization is in hand is making me insane. The COVID test has to be within 7 days of travel -- took on Friday; got back on Monday; submitted request for travel authorization yesterday. Site says 1-3 days -- hoping to hear today. Slight revision to plans to travel on 12th and return on 19th.

My wife is also a "near Boston" person -- born in Winthrop; grew up in South Hamilton. Happy to hear any tips on dining and wandering about in Bermuda ;-)

It appears that there is reason for optimism for an effective vaccine. The New York Times is reporting that Pfizer's early data shows vaccine is more than 90% effective.
Seems to be good news for those who are waiting for an effective vaccine.
However, I am less optimistic about how widely available it will be. I wouldn't be surprised if we will see third and fourth lockdowns before an effective vaccine is deployed on a large enough scale that something similar to the "old routine" will return. It might be apt to recall how countries competed and even stole from each other while trying to obtain various medical supplies when the virus first hit in the spring. And that means that travel will continue to be affected for quite a while.

Today's Guardian has an article about a poll that points to a desire by people in many countries to travel and drive more, after things have calmed down with regards Covid. Hopes for a green recovery from Covid, taking into account the world's environmental problems, seem a bit out of whack with the ingrained inclination to get back to routine consumerism. It will take strong political leadership to steer things to a better outcome, in all countries.

Last edited:
Today's Guardian has an article about a poll that points to a desire by people in many countries to travel and drive more
I would like to see a more “green” world but I am one of those people planning to fly and drive more when this pandemic ends! I can’t believe how much I miss traveling! I will stop consuming a lot of things before I will stop traveling. If all this had not happened I would be in Israel right now, driving across the Negev probably.

This vaccine information has made many of us feel more hopeful about travel I think.

Apparently they are making special containers which are equipped with GPS trackers because of concerns about organised crime interference.

It is encouraging news. I am hopeful we will be able to perhaps consider another trip to France in 2022. I will be very sad if we never get to go back to the country we love visiting. Meanwhile we will travel around home once our domestic borders all open again.

Apparently they are making special containers which are equipped with GPS trackers because of concerns about organised crime interference.
I know they are going to take some precautions against theft here in the US, but I think it is primarily aimed at stupid criminals who hijack a truck and don't even know what they are stealing. Since the vaccine is going to be free to all citizens, no one is going to want to pay for it. Maybe someone in a low risk category might be anxious, but it's not like buying cocaine in a back alley.

However, if there is a buck to be made from it, someone will try to capitalize.

Someone on another travel forum said they'd pay $10k to get a vaccine early for himself and his wife so that he could travel again.

So you never know what people might do to jump the queue.

I will stop consuming a lot of things before I will stop traveling.
I believe that one of the only practical ways to balance between the desire to fly and the need to safeguard the environment, is to implement a compulsory carbon-offset scheme, relative to the price ticket (first class paying a higher tax). Not many schemes like this are truly effective, though, in repairing things in the environment.
This and other ways in this article from Lonely Planet.

Jeez, I wonder what temperature it's at when you get an injection? .....and how long it last at a lower temperature?

It would have to be stored at like a dry ice facility and i can't imagine there are that many dry ice facilities in each state.
===================================
Who says you get an injection? People are saying that the vaccine comes in the form of an ice cube. You simply put one in your martini or other cocktail of choice. Repeat in three weeks. Easy peasy. ;-):cool:

What type of ice cube? I'm fine with any old kind, but I'm afraid that half of my "foodie" friends (I really hate that term!) in NYC would never go near one that isn't part of an "ice program" and appropriate to the specific drink being consumed.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina